This space is held for (the short version) announcements and any news worthy notations.

If you see missing pictures or links, bare with me! Slight changes in the works.

Here are a few links to help you get started and get a general feel for the players.

-Guest Poster? READ this!
Latest topics
» The Good Kind of Drawback ((Open))
by Archer Caughey Yesterday at 10:27 pm

» What The Heck Happened That Night!
by Arcadia Caughey Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:09 pm

» Noble Pursuit [In Italia]
by Damon Fauci Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:05 pm

» The Ghosts of Rhydin Past
by Gypzee Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:08 pm

» Moran: Brennos [closed]
by Gypzee Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 pm

» For a Reason
by Ruslan Chergari Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:13 am

Getting a Partner |†closed†|

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting a Partner |†closed†|

Post by Mael Feu on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Ring. Ring.

The phone in his pants pocket went off and buzzed against his leg, the iridescent glow from the screen shining a tad through the fabric. Who the hell was calling him and what the hell did they want? He was busy biding his time lounging under a tree in the Marketplace watching the people as they went by. The location granted him an opportunity to watch business dealings and keep an eye out for any suspect people. Like those on the Syndicate’s watch list.

Ring. Ring.

It was still going off and he was continuing to ignore it. The din of business was too much for something as mundane as a ringing cell to draw attention. Must be why he chose a busy spot to sit. Last time he talked to his organization was when he got back from checking up on Topeka and they had informed him that they were going to assign him a partner for his next assignment. He didn't work with partners. Most of the time he found them to be incompetent and hardly worth the time. Why rely on someone else to do a task when he could do it faster and more effectively alone.

Ring. Ring.

He was going to play along but if they wanted him to have a partner than said person was going to have to find him. He wasn’t the type to set up a meeting to talk. They had his description, they knew generally where he was, and if his would-be partner needed more information than that, then they didn’t need to work with him. He didn’t care who they sent, as long as they didn’t make an ass of themselves and had common sense.

Ring. Ring.

The person calling damn well better not be this partner.
Mael Feu

Number of posts : 85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting a Partner |†closed†|

Post by Firefly on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:59 pm

She let the phone ring, and ring and ring. Why did she have to have a partner. Yeah she was new, but she was the top of her class. She didn't need any damn partner.

Still it was for the good of mankind, and she wanted to do her part.

"Okay, if they don't answer in the next five minutes, I'll hang up, after that... 'll figure that out then."

Last edited by Firefly on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Firefly

Number of posts : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mael Feu on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:28 pm

That phone was going to continue ringing and he was going to continue ignoring it.

Unlike most sensible people who had voicemail pickup to stop the ringing after five tries he had that feature deactivated. As it was, any person calling him could listen to the phone ring on their end until their batteries died. Or his. Showed that he gave two shits about it. Syndicate given phone and he answered when he felt like it. But then they knew this and hardly wasted their time letting it go past twenty rings.

Ring. Ring.

Put a hand to his pocket and squeezed the side of the phone through the fabric of his pants to silence the ringer, now only the light continued to blink through faintly. If his would-be partner was the one calling him maybe she was in the Marketplace, even passing by with a phone to her ear or a piece in her ear. There was the occasional person like that meandering the sidewalk. Wasn’t too uncommon.

He folded his hands behind his head as he continued to lounge against that tree. Pulling his right leg up to a knee-bent while the other continued being stretched out. Casual and watching now with partially opened eyes.

He wasn’t sleep.

Mael Feu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Voicemail picked up on what had to have been the fiftieth ring. The polite computer asked her for her message, and she sure as hell had one.

"Listen up, you f-ckin' prick. I didn't even want a f-cking partner, and if you're gonna be mine, you better shape your ass up pronto. I don't make mistakes on the job, but there's always collateral damage. Wanna be it? Leave me the f-ck hanging one more damn time."

She hit the end button on her cell a little harder than normal, pissed beyond all measure. Whoever the prick was, he had better have a good explanation, or he'd be getting her boot surgically removed from his asshole.
Firefly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mael Feu on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 am

Clearly the light coming from his pant pocket told the story that his phone was still ringing. There wasn't anything else in his pockets that would, or could, light up. However, some unfortunate being was getting their ear chewed off by the girl walking just away from him. She was one of those few people he's seen in passing and had the phones or their ears. 

It was the frustration he picked up on that caused him to casually bring his left hand back from behind his head and have a finger brush behind his ear as the hand came down. He turned up the amplifier on the virtually invisible ear piece he was wearing.  Hearing aids were not solely useful to the hard of hearing. Still. 

He was in an area occupied by other people so sounds as a whole gained a boost. The trick was honing in on a certain pitch and tone and using that to filter the rest and by doing this he was able to form together her sounds into words. Then he could make the words into a coherent sentence structure. 

Well holy shit, seemed that some unfortunate bastard got a voicemail that apparently was intended for him. His phone didn't have voicemail or anything that would pick up after a number of rings. It would ring, and ring, and ring until someone hung up or the batteries died. He had hoped that the partner wouldn't be the one calling and from the sound of what he heard in the one-sided conversation it was. 

She better have a damned good reason for calling. A reason more than asking where he was. 

With one hand still behind his head the fingers on his other hand rapped on his knee after reaching up and taking the aid off and sticking it in the pocket with the phone. He had wedged his finger in it and hung up on whoever was calling at that point too. Something more important to do now than irritate the person on the other end.

"Under the tree." Hear the exasperation in his voice with how he held the last syllable of the first word before the last two ran off. 

The casual position maintained as he continued to sit there. A person or two turned towards his direction before looking away - he didn't meet any of their - eyes. Instead he was looking dead on to her. 

Maybe she heard him too. 

Mael Feu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:20 pm

She wasn't pleased. That was supposed to be her new partner? Dammit.

Yeah, she heard, and little blondie-bear had better start paying better attention. "Maybe you should stop playing with yourself and answer your f-cking phone, you bleached-out twit! They assigned me to help you. Don't get your sh-t twisted, yeah?"

She was done, vented, and better. Damned Medieval Times reject had stepped on her foot, messed up her boot, AND acted like she should apologize. Maybe when he went back on solid foods he would be a bit more civil.

"So. You have to know something more than I was briefed on about the mission specs. Spill." Not wise to keep a girl waiting, especially not this one.

Dammit, I shoulda let the phone ring. This sucks. F-ck, I need a good roll in the hay....relieve some tension or something.
Firefly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mael Feu on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:36 pm

This chick was having all kinds of luck today wasn't she? Called the wrong number, got stepped on, and appeared to be riled up. First impression: addict going through withdrawl. The only thing she was missing was a twitch.

This was going to work out well.

He let her talk, why not. Seemed she has a few things that she needed to say. Pointed words also knew how to get attention as more than a person lingered their eyes at them. Now, he didn't stand or change anything about his position when she came over as he could conduct business from the ground.

"Your locating skills are sloppy, so is your ability to downplay your presence. Your attitude needs adjusting and you were not calling me as I only now hung it up. Someone is going to get an earful with the message you left them." He didn't talk any louder than conversation, why should he when she was in front of him.

"I don't care if this is your first assignment," she looked young enough and it would explain some things about her persona, "or the tenth one under your belt. Get your shit together or keep walking."

He didn't need a crass partner who couldn't keep a steady head for this task.
Mael Feu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:00 am

Something had sort of snapped into place for her. Yeah, he'll do. She smirked, then plopped down to cover their conversation. Yeah, for all the other people knew around here, dopey as they were, they were just two people having a quiet conversation.

"Yeah, you'll do, blondie. Nice to see you got a pair. My location skills'd be fine if we weren't in bum-f-ckin' Egypt. Why'd we get assigned to a ren-fair, anyway? Never mind, it ain't important." She stretched, flopping back lazily to rest for a moment. After her back finally cracked like she wanted it to, she sat up.

"So, when do we start?" She was all business now, the attitude went away, and she was looking at him like she knew what she was doing. "Oh yeah. The phone thing? Really pisses us gals off to get stood up and not get our calls answered. We start thinkin' you guys were in it just for the bouncies." Her attempt at pouting fell into another smirk.

"Anyway, I'm here, let's go. What's the plan? My shit's together, by the way." The worst thing he could do was accuse her of being amateurish. She'd been too many places and had too many successful missions to be called out. She could be a patient girl, though. Sometimes.
Firefly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mael Feu on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:44 pm

"Listen."

There was something she had to understand if they were ever going to go anywhere beyond sitting here in the Marketplace and that was that he didn't do nicknames. A codename was one thing, calling him 'Blondie' in the condesending manner she had was not acceptable.

"My name is Mael Feu. Now, you can choose to address me by my first name or my last name; and unless I'm under the pretense of someone else I won't answer to anything else. If you want me to take you seriously you'll remember that."

He leaned away from her to reach into his pocket and pulled out his phone. It wasn't large or bulky but fit in the palm of a persons hand. Silver and black with a monochrome LCD screen square on the front. Flip phone. Mael shook it at her once before he flipped it open with his thumb. "And unless you're dying or being held at f-cking gun point without any options don't assume to call my phone. A snowball has a better chance surviving in Hell than anyone has of me answering."

Did that mean he never answered his phone? No. He only answered it when he felt like it. Sometimes people got lucky.

A few buttons pushed and he turned the phone around so she could see the screen. "We're here because I found her." It was the picture of the girl on the fliers in Starbucks. "Fighting nearly in a rage at a club. She an unregisterd, violent Lycan. Something we can't allow." We meant the Syndicate. They had a record of all the beast in the city, and those of abilities, that could be threats to the human population of rhydin. In a world where normal humans were a rare bred near extinction it was a necessity to know what lot a person tossed their alliegence.

The phone was closed and put back in his pocket. "Asked around, heard a conversation, got some tips, and found out that she works at the Inn on the top of the hill about a mile or so out of the city. She's not alone. Word is this Inn has had some strange shit go down so we get to find out how many and what kind of creatures are there. Get them to come with us, or bag 'n tag."

"Any questions?" She had to have some.
Mael Feu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Her eyes narrowed slightly as he spoke. She wasn't glaring, though. She'd save that for people with sh-t to prove. No, she was processing his intel. Finally, she nodded once, and after taking a moment to look at his cell's screen and memorize the face, she spoke.

"The inn, huh? What is it with people wanting to live in their own filth? I mean, I've heard there are places around here without modern sewers. That means you have to...well, outhouses, man. I mean, what the f-ck."

She was speaking softly, of course. No one would hear her besides Mael. Anyway, if they did, it was just babble, because as she spoke, she indicated her own phone, as if asking him to copy the file to her. A quick nod...yeah, she might need it if she found someone to question.

"Yeah, sorry about that, Meal. Mael. Damn. Never was good with French. Anyway, you want to do the key-under-the-mat?" Speaking of the Lycan in question, and how to proceed at the Inn. She was hoping to be the key....she liked trying to fit in in strange places. She hoped he had heard that term before, but if he hadn't, she could always text it to him. Couldn't say much out loud, the damn trees might start walking in this b-tch. Hell, she was still waiting for Frito or whatever to walk by. She didn't crack the joke, though. Something had changed in her, like she was ready for something. She was used to the feeling, since she always got this way right before a big mission.
Firefly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mael Feu on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Ha ha. That's exactly how he laughed to at the moment. Ha, ha, ha-ha. Her remark about people living in their own filth was funny, especially when he thought about the Inns, Hotels, and Motels he's seen in other places. 

Guess it was all a matter of perspective.

"Why the Hell not. Go be the key. Knock yourself out." Mael said with mild enthusiasm. He wasn't quite familiar with the term but he was a smart guy, put into the context of what they were talking about it wasn't too hard to figure it out. 

"Get yourself in there at some point and I'll come by and meet you at the bar a couple days later. It's an Inn, there should be a bar."

He held out his hand to her with the palm up. "Give me your phone. When you settle in there I'd like for you to call me. Let me know what you found out. We can arrange our meet." She was trying to take the initiative on this portion so sure, he'd let her have it. Good way to see what she was made of. 

"By the way, I never got your name." Had to call her something or he'd make up his own. 
 [right]
Mael Feu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:48 pm

She half-smiled when she got approval, handing her phone over with a nod. She remembered what the dossier said about him, that he would have her for lunch if he detected weakness, so she had tried to be a hardass. Why not? People strutting around in poet shirts pretending to be British vampires....thank GOD she hadn't run into any that sparkled, or she would've had to blow her cover on the principle of the damn thing!

Her head tilted to one side, waiting for him to finish with her phone, and she smirked. "Huh. Yeah, never told you. I'm....well, Firefly works for this mission. Lisa any other time." She gave him a bit of a wink, then added. "Sorry Mael, you gotta get to know a girl better to find out more." After a moment, she stretched, feeling a couple of joints crack and smiling at the relief. "At any rate, I suppose I should check in now. What do they use for currency here? Somehow I don't see them taking Amex or Discover."
Firefly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum